Sunday, January 27, 2008

Kind of looks like Arial to me. But it ain't. Toronto Street Signs

Kind of looks like Arial to me

It's not. It's Helvetica, but the angle on the end of the bottom curve of the 'e' is sort of half way there. Whatever... It's a different cut of Helvetica than I'm used to. And I am used to Helvetica.

Toronto street name signs.
Toronto is in the process of changing the typeface on street signage to ClearviewHWY.

I had planned to be taking photos of old and new Toronto Street name signs, but it's winter. It gets dark early. I'll wait until the day are a bit longer. Mean time there are other fish to fry. Retro reflectivity might be a good topic.

Overall, this blog may appear to be promising to be very boring. Not so, friends. Not so. A least not to the keen observer of those things that are so ubiquitous as to go virtually unnoticed. The excitement is slow to build. I'll give you that.

In the future I'll post the bulk of images to Flickr, with a link, rather than post a series of images in the blog. Or with a link to Google's Picas, which isn't as good, or as popular with the cool kids and real cognoscenti, but allows a larger amount of storage space. We just canceled our Rogers account, and it my Flickr quota got slashed back to 200 images. Or else, I will make my own slide show and host them myself.

R

No comments: